Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Need help with understanding ships manifest
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Need help with understanding ships manifest Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:57 pm
    ----
I'm posting the two parts of this manifest
The numbers I'm asking about are 19,20,21.
No 19 is Ciccone Benedetta who is going to her father Antonio the person named as relative in Country where she has come from is grandfather Tommaso de Filippo there is a number after his name (60) is this referring to his age in 1921?
No 20 is Soave Maria Rocca? age 34 then it says she rejected her husband? what does this mean? further along it also has ditto underneath Tommaso De filippo's name and underneath that it has her father's name Luigi Soave 61 Does this mean that Tomasso Defillipo could also be her Grandfather? (Tomasso's wife's maiden name was Soave)
No 21 is Vettraino Filippo Antonio and again it says grandfather then ditto underneath the name Luigi Soave. i know that he was Maria's son and they were going to his father?
I was thinking that perhaps Luigi and Tommaso may have been brothers-in-law
Be grateful for any explanation

#2: Re: Need help with understanding ships manifest Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:00 pm
    ----
2nd part of manifest

Emmy

#3: Re: Need help with understanding ships manifest Author: chanchisfea PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:05 pm
    ----
Hi Emmy,

The numbers on the far right side are, from what I can see, to count the family groups... Passenger in line 19 was group 60, lines 20 & 21 were group 61, etc.

At least that's how understand that part Mr. Green

The words in Maria Rocca? Soave's information is "she rejoins her husb" Wink

Maria and Filippo Antonio both left Luigi Soave, her father and his grandfather respectively, back in Italy and came to the US to rejoin the husband and father, respectively...

Does that make sense ??? Confused Mr. Green

Liz Cool

#4: Re: Need help with understanding ships manifest Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:09 pm
    ----
I looked at this manifest on Ancestry and the three lines 19/20/21 showed the following:

19 CICCONE BENEDETTO Manifested as 15 years, 16yrs on Passport issued at Naples
Single Domestic Read Y Italian Write
Ticket paid by herself. Sum in possession $28. No previous visits. Joining: Father-Ciccone Antonio. 1457 Rowene St. Detroit
Height: 5ft. Brown hair – chestnut eyes. Born St. Elio Fiume Rapido

20 SOAVE MARIA ROCCA 34 YEARS f married Housewife Read N Rejoins her husband. Unable to write

Ticket paid by herself. Sum in possession $25. No previous visits. Joining: Husband-Giovanni Battista Vettraino. 3739 River St. Detroit

Height: 5ft 2in. Brown hair – chestnut eyes

21 VETTRAINO FILIPPO ANTONIO 9 YEARS m single

Ticket paid by his mother No previous visits. Joining: His father ditto

I couldn't see the other notes that you mentioned about grandfather and the age. Sorry!

#5: Re: Need help with understanding ships manifest Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:58 am
    ----
Thanks for the inf. Liz yes it makes sense Wink Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed she didnt REJECTher husband she rejoined Very Happy Very Happy him Thank goodness for that!!! Smile Smile Smile Must use a magnifying glass next time Smile

Many Thanks for that detailed description Carole , the information about the grandfather is on the second sheet of the manifest.

What I'm really trying to discover is this

Was Benedetta and Maria Soave related?

Was there a connection between Tommaso DeFilipppo (Benedetta's grandfather - who was her relative left in the country where she came from) and Luigi Soave Maria's father who was her relative left where she came from)

Both Maria and Benedetta came from Sant'Elia
Just had a feeling there was a connection there because of the 'ditto' below Tommaso's name which is on Maria Soave's line of the manifest.
Emmy

#6: Re: Need help with understanding ships manifest Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:28 am
    ----
Emmy wrote:

Just had a feeling there was a connection there because of the 'ditto' below Tommaso's name which is on Maria Soave's line of the manifest.
Emmy
The word ditto refers to S.Elia Fiumerapido.

#7: Re: Need help with understanding ships manifest Author: EmmyLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:44 am
    ----
Many thanks Livio

I understand now. Havent really studied many manifests yet ( Embarassed that's as good as an excuse as any for all the mistakes I make Wink Wink )

Your all first class 'teachers'
Thank you all very much
Emmy

-> General Discussion Groups