Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: SMGF DNA
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: SMGF DNA Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:45 pm
    ----
I read an announcement on www.smgf.org that anyone who participated with the free DNA kit and returns the kit by this week will be eligible for free mitochondrial results through a sister company for a small processing fee. If you recall, the free DNA test does not return results to you. You have to figure yours out by doing a surname search in their database. This offer will give you personalized results, ostensibly for free if you participated in the smgf study.

#2: Re: SMGF DNA Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:38 pm
    ----
A while ago I signed up online for one of their free tests and never got around to sending it in. About a month ago they called my cell phone and told me about this Mitochondrial DNA Bonus test so I figuered what the heck, swished around the mouthwash they gave me and sent it in.

Wonder how long it takes...

For some reason MTDNA Has always interested me. I guess because you can be more certain it is true where as the paternal line is a bit less definite.

I'll post when my results are delivered.

Smile

#3: Re: SMGF DNA Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:53 pm
    ----
Jim, great to see you posting again! We missed you! If you hear anything from smgf before I do, please let us know. I sent my sample in in Feb. 2007. I know that they publish info. in batches...maybe once a year, every six months, who knows??? I am also interested in what this MtDNA special deal is that they were offering. I have not heard any more about it.

#4: Re: SMGF DNA Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:15 pm
    ----
I just received this email today...

Dear James Bianco,
The Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation has received your
participation kit and has submitted it for analysis. Thank you for
adding your data to the world?s foremost collection of correlated
genetic and genealogical information. After the analysis is completed,
your sample will be added to the Sorenson Database.

If you have any additional pedigree information which has not already
been submitted, please e-mail the pedigree file to genealogy @ smgf.org.
If you have any friends or relative who would like to participate in the
Sorenson Database, refer them to smgf.org. Or if you would like to have
a large group participate, contact us at participate @ smgf.org. Thank you
again for your submission.

Sincerely,
SMGF
www.smgf.org

I am curious about one thing tho... in their packet they state that they try to authenticate as much of a submitted ancestry as possible. I submitted 10generations, complete with full dates/places. I could go back further but everyone in the 10th generation was 100% something (aside from 2 who were mixed). For those interested, here is My ancestry to the 10th generation -->Jim<-- in PDF Format. My concern is that I am adopted and while I am submitting my natural line, there will be difficulties on their part substantiating some of it. My bio-parents did not get married until I was 20, and neither set of my bio-grandparents were married at the time of my parents birth. My bio father's parents never married even. What will they do I wonder?

I will wait and see...

#5: Re: SMGF DNA Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:54 pm
    ----
I am puzzled by this too. Their FAQ section says that they can not estimate when your results will be added to the database because they try to confirm the charts. I sent mine in in Feb. or March 2007 and it still has not been added. Maybe you can e-mail them with your query about the confirmation process.

-> General Discussion Groups