Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: How does this happen?
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: How does this happen? Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:24 am
    ----
How does this stuff happen to me???

I got this email from the Archivio di Stato di l'Aquila. The email came with an attachment. It says subrizi.odt

Now what's odd about that? Subrizi is my great grandmother's second husband and he is from L'Aquila. But......I didn't request anything on him!

Worst part about all this is I don't know what an .odt document is and I can't even open it...... Can you believe this???

#2: Re: How does this happen? Author: CaroleLocation: Valtellina - Near Lake Como PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:34 am
    ----
Hi Gina,
I don't know if this might help... I just 'Googled' "What is an odt. file". It gave a load of answers...tis was one of them.

>odt. files explanations<

#3: Re: How does this happen? Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:34 am
    ----
Hi Gina I hope this helps.

File Type: OpenDocument Text Document (.odt)
Information: Text document created with Writer, the OpenOffice.org and StarOffice word processor; formatted using the OASIS OpenDocument XML-based standard.

OpenDocument text files can be opened and edited with any OpenOffice-compatible program, including NeoOffice (Mac), AbiWord (Mac & Windows), and KWord (Unix).
File Format: Standard file format supported by many programs (developed by Sun Microsystems).
File Usage: Open file directly.
Open With: Mac: OpenOffice.org Writer; NeoOffice Writer; AbiSource AbiWord
Windows: OpenOffice.org Writer; Sun Microsystems Writer (included with StarOffice); AbiSource AbiWord; Microsoft Word with OpenXML/ODF Translator Add-in
Unix: OpenOffice.org Writer; Sun Microsystems Writer (included with StarOffice); KOffice KWord; AbiSource AbiWord

Maybe you can forward the email with the attachment to someone on the forum who has one of these programs. Maybe someone with a MAC? I'm checking to see if there is a demo of any of this software that you can download and try for free.

Billie

#4: Re: How does this happen? Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:38 am
    ----
Oh my gosh...... I don't even know what all of that means. I guess I can't open it with anything I have. It won't let me. None of the Office products will do it.

But thanks, Billie. I will look too. Now I am curious as to what it is!!!?!!

Last edited by Gina501 on Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: How does this happen? Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:40 am
    ----
I just checked and OpenOffice is 100% compatible with MicroSoft Office and I have the full blown MicroSoft Office. Forward your email to me and I'll see if I can get the attachment to open and then I'll resave and/or post for you!!!! Might as well give it a shot. My email ejffts @ aol.com (withouth the spaces).

#6: Re: How does this happen? Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:46 am
    ----
Thanks Billie! I really appreciate it. I hope after all your trouble that it's worth it!

#7: Re: How does this happen? Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:08 pm
    ----
Hey Gina,

I need the add on for my MS Office 2007 and I can't get it to download. Here is the link for the OpenOffice which will allow you to open the file. It's 100% free. Click the download for your operating system (XP, 98 etc.) and you'll have the program to open the document. Let me know how it turns out.

download.openoffice.or...sion=2.3.0

Billie

#8: Re: How does this happen? Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:30 pm
    ----
Well I spent all that time downloading it and when it was finished it said "file corrupt".

Any other ideas??

And I figured out what it is. It's the military record of my great grandmother's second husband. I wrote an email requesting the record of her first husband and also her second husband. This must be it. Funny thing is that I wrote the email on July 9th. But it's ok....I'll take it.

#9: Re: How does this happen? Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:45 pm
    ----
Ok then I'm not crazy. Mine had said file corrupt also using my MS Office so I tried downloading the add on again. So the file is corrupt, maybe you can email them and tell them the file was bad. Ask them to resend to you and maybe ask if they can save it with a different extension (other than odt). Couldn't hurt.

#10: Re: How does this happen? Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:55 pm
    ----
Yes. And there were several other sites to get it from. Each one of them doesn't load correctly for me. It's ok. Thanks so much for trying. I'm sure someone else here will know what to do.

#11: Re: How does this happen? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:14 pm
    ----
Gina send it to me and let me try..sometimes I can get pretty lucky (and sometimes I bomb... Embarassed ) but I'll try.

#12: Re: How does this happen? Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:27 pm
    ----
Thanks...sending now.

#13: Re: How does this happen? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:35 pm
    ----
I got it and was able to open it as a google document. Let me see what I can do to repost it..or would you prefer me to email it to you first?

#14: Re: How does this happen? Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:41 pm
    ----
Gina..

Since I couldn't play with it as much as I wanted, I decided to upload it to your site instead..hope you don't mind..

www.ignaziogenealogy.c...ildoc.html

#15: Re: How does this happen? Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:01 pm
    ----
Don't mind at all. Thanks so much for figuring it out. Unfortunately all that work for nothing.....it was a negative response.

-> General Discussion Groups