Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Almost unreadable Census
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Almost unreadable Census Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:27 am
    ----
I have been looking for a site that would have a more readable shot of the New Jersey 1895 Census.

Ancestory's is very dark and almost unreadable. Does anyone have a suggestion where I might find a better shot of this census ????

#2: Re: Almost unreadable Census Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:33 am
    ----
I'm not sure which county you are looking for but here are a couple of links. I'm not sure these will be any better though.
www.censusfinder.com/new_jersey.htm

www.hudsoncountynjgenealogy.org/

#3: Re: Almost unreadable Census Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:36 am
    ----
I checked the sites out and they use the image from Ancestry's site. Wasn't there a site with Heritage in the name? I think it is a subscription site but not sure.

#4: Re: Almost unreadable Census Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:40 am
    ----
Sorry. Yes Heritage Quest has it too. Who are you looking for? I think a few people have a subscription to Heritage Quest. I may still have access on my trial membership too - I'm not sure. Confused POst who you are looking for and I'm sure someone can find something. It may be just as bad or worse than Ancestry but until we look, we won't know.

#5: Re: Almost unreadable Census Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:42 am
    ----
I am looking for Henry Van de Sandt and family. Hudson, New Jersey 1895. As I said earlier the copy of the census I have is so dark and almost unreadable.

#6: Re: Almost unreadable Census Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:42 pm
    ----
Carole found the census again and it doesn't look too bad..there aren't any other clearer censuses that I know of. Here's the link again..

1895 Census

Hope this is better. If not, maybe we can open it in a photo editing program and enhance the color..or maybe even in Paint?

#7: Re: Almost unreadable Census Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:51 pm
    ----
I tried to enhance it but with no luck. It is very difficult with the old microfilm copies. I found this to be true when I sent for a death certificate. It was almost impossible to read. The record was old enough that it seems after microfilming the original records were discarded to save space. I do understand but it is sometimes frustrating, especially if you need info from them. You can certainly see if you can do a better job. My photo program is just basic. I couldn't get anywhere with Paint.

Thanks again,
Barb

-> General Discussion Groups