Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Christmas translation
-> Translations

#1: Christmas translation Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:07 pm
    ----
I just received a card from a friend of ours that we met in Italy last year. She starts her letter with: Siamo giunti nuovamente al Santo Natale.

Now, my translation sounds very awkward: we are newly joined at Holy Christmas. Does that sound right? I am thinking the sentiment may be that we are together in spirit at Christmas and this is a new thing because we have only known each other for a year.

Any opinions???

#2: Re: Christmas translation Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:25 pm
    ----
Giunti = Arrived

We arrived again to Xmas

Xmas has arrived again

Razz Smile Razz

#3: Re: Christmas translation Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:58 pm
    ----
kiss Thanks, Livio! You must be laughing with my inaccurate translation. I know, I am!

#4: Re: Christmas translation Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:19 pm
    ----
Poipu,

Don't feel too badly. I thought your translation made sense. One of the biggest problems with any language are the idiomatic expressions. I bet if you wrote your friend "Well, it's Christmas time once again," he/she would likewise have a heck of a time trying to accurately translate your statement.

Biff

#5: Re: Christmas translation Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:22 pm
    ----
I can't read her handwriting either, LOL. At least when it is in English, you can take a stab at the handwriting. When I get a chance, I will post a picture of the gift she sent. It is a nice plate of Padre Pio.

-> Translations