Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: FOIA
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: FOIA Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:25 am
    ----
I finally got a response to my FOIA request to homeland security after a 10 month wait. I am pretty disappointed. I asked for my ggm's alien registartion information and all I got was a copy of an index card with her name and that she was 39 in 1909. Grrrrr....I called Homeland Security to find out if anything was withheld and they said no. I was also hoping for a transcript of my ggm's deportation appeal. Maybe I should write to the national archives for that???? My research has shown that while transcripts of deportation hearings from Ellis Island have been destroyed, records of appeals may still exit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of this? My ggm was an alien during WWII so I thought she had to register as an enemy alien. My dad said he did not think she ever registered, but that is just his memory...you know.

#2: Re: FOIA Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:01 pm
    ----
Oh Lori! I'm so sorry. That really stinks. Did you write to Citizen and Immigration or another address? I hear sometimes there are documents in their Citizen and Immigration file.

#3: Re: FOIA Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:10 pm
    ----
I believe, and I stand to be corrected, that Homeland Security now is the custodian of immigration files. My only other idea was the National Archives because there is a Jewish genealogy page (the one we all use to interpret manifest markings), and it has information on getting those board of special inquiry records (if they exist) and I think they said to search the National Archives.

#4: Re: FOIA Author: Cathy PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:21 pm
    ----
So sorry Poipu! That would have been interesting to read. I wonder why they destroyed those records? Confused

#5: Re: FOIA Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:28 am
    ----
I guess you have nothing to lose then by writing to the National Archives. If one avenue fails, then try another. What is your ggmothers name anyway? Maybe we can help?

#6: Re: FOIA Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:21 am
    ----
Have you tried the local courthouse where this might have been filed originally?? Or did they have to go to a federal office of some sort back then??

#7: Re: FOIA Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:33 am
    ----
Hmmm....I have not checked, but I think the appeal was at an administrative level, as opposed to an action in Federal Court. From my reading, these records have a slim chance of surviving, but I want to exhaust my avenues before I give up. When I get a chance, I will try to post the index card that they sent me, to see if anyone can figure out if there are any clues on it.

#8: Re: FOIA Author: ricbruLocation: TRENTO - ITALIA PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:17 pm
    ----
If Lori have been waiting for 10 months, I hope to wait no more than that.
Nuccia helped me to file my request last June 2007, it means that hopefully I will receive something next April 2008!!!
Wish me good luck, I need it badly!!!!
kisses and hugs
Riccardo

-> General Discussion Groups