Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Death act date
-> Translations

#1: Death act date Author: Cathy PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:35 pm
    ----
This is the death act of my g g g grandmother Maria Stella Nicastro. Can someone tell me her date of death (I am not positive which one is the date of death). If you can take the time to translate the notes and Luigi Folino's profession too it would be appreciated. I know her husband is listed as a miller but what does it say right before her name?
Thanks.
Stella Nicastro Death Act

#2: Re: Death act date Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:47 pm
    ----
I probably should let someone else answer this, but in the first paragraph, I think it says that on the 29th of November 1839, the declarant made his statement.

In the second paragraph: it says that the decedent dies on November of the current year but I am not sure of the day. I can make out "otto" and am guessing that it says ventotto. I bet Livio would know better, or Carole or Simy.

#3: Re: Death act date Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:23 am
    ----
The declaration was made the 29th of November 1839, the actual death of Stella Nicastro, wife of Vincenzo Napolitano, was the 28th [the document states: yesterday, twenty eight, at 6 in the night]. Declarators were: Andrea di Dio, next-door neighbor [vicino di casa], aged 40, profession farmhand [bracciale] and Luigi Folino, also next-door neighbor [anche vicino], aged 26, farmhand.
Stella Nicastro died when she was 33, she was daughter of Francesco an Caterina Scadaco [Not sure about the spelling]

#4: Re: Death act date Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:46 pm
    ----
Thank you so much Livio. Her mother's name has been a little confusing to me. Although I am certain all the family documents (so far) have listed her as Caterina SCARLATO, I have clearly seen the name SQARLATO or SGARLATO in the town (still can't tell if it is a Q or G). So close, I get a little confused and wonder if they are the same name, different names or perhaps the name was changed? I have seen many names change their spelling around the time of the unification. The Di names like DiSeta and DiLio changed to De like DeSeta and DeLio. That is fabulous that now I know the neighbors of Vincenzo and Stella! One of their daughters married a Folino! I will have to see if he was the boy next door! WOO HOO!!

#5: Re: Death act date Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:09 pm
    ----
Looking the document closer...
The surname is definitely Scarlato.
SQARLATO is wrong, you cannot have, in Italian the sequence SQ, unless the following vowel is U.

#6: Re: Death act date Author: Cathy PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:37 pm
    ----
Thanks again Livio! What would I do without you! I better look at all my document transcriptions again. The ones that look like SQ I will make sure the name reads SGARLATO. Definitely a different surname than Stella's mother SCARLATO. You have rescued my again from my terrible spelling! Embarassed You would never know my daughter won several spelling bees, would you?

-> Translations