Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Letters to Possible Relatives
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Letters to Possible Relatives Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:13 pm
    ----
I know my family is a long time removed from Italy but I have located 26 named individuals in the commune where some of my family was born. Should I just send a letter to all 26 and do I enclose money for return postage with a self-addressed envelope?

I am not sure just how I would find Italian stamps for the return envelopes.

Thanks for any help.
lilbees

#2: Re: Letters to Possible Relatives Author: chanchisfea PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:41 pm
    ----
When I was considering doing the same as you are, sending letters to all families in the given town with the surname you are researching, I contacted Riccardo to have an idea of what I should do.

I ended up sending 13 letters, with self addressed and stamped envelopes inside. Riccardo was the person I went to for Italian stamps. I sent him the amount it would cost him to purchase the stamps for me, I sent dollars, and he sent me the stamps pretty quickly... it took one week between me sending the money and him sending the stamps back Wink

So, I would definitely recommend sending a shout out to Riccardo and see if he can do the same for you. I highly recommend him.

About sending 26 or more letters, that's up to you. I would cross check the address for the people you are considering sending a letter, as sometimes there are one or two who live very much in the same street and more likely than not, they are related Very Happy

Liz Cool

#3: Re: Letters to Possible Relatives Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:56 pm
    ----
I would include my e-mail address in those letters too. In fact, the only relativeswho contacted me were through e-mail. For some reason, it is easier for people to shoot out an e-mail than to write an old fashioned letter. Of course, like the US, I am sure some of the older people would prefer to write an old fashioned letter or don't have easy access to a computer. What I did was send out one letter by post. I got no response, so I sent out two e-mails by searching google and yahoo for the same surname as mine in the relevant towns. I got replies to those very quicky. I would do what Liz said, and only send out a few letters instead of mailing a whole bunch. Word of mouth will travel fast to others, if they are related. I think it was Nuccia who also said to include a small picture of yourself (to show good will and perhaps a family resemblance). That way they know you are earnest and not some nut.

#4: Re: Letters to Possible Relatives Author: Gina501Location: Houston, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:16 pm
    ----
Hello. I did the same thing. I sent 54 letters to Italy over a period of three months. All that responded did so with email. I wouldn't waste the time and money on return envelopes. But that is just my opinion. Most people are computer savvy these days and I even got some responses from some relatives that were in their 60s by email.

#5: Re: Letters to Possible Relatives Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:34 pm
    ----
Hey, thanks everyone. I will still contact Riccardo about stamps but I never though of Googling for possible relative there. Hum.....I will do that. Maybe I can either add to my list or just use those I find on Google.

I will have to think about that.

Thank you once again. You have all been very helpful.

lilbees

#6: Re: Letters to Possible Relatives Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:38 pm
    ----
Forgot to add: I am corresponding via email with a long lost relative on a part of the family I was never aware of. He is a very young 83 years old. He worked actively until about 5 or 6 years ago so came by his comfort with computers while still on the job and is very proficient.

Quite a sharp man.

lilbees

#7: Re: Letters to Possible Relatives Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:57 pm
    ----
Okay, what am I going wrong. All I am getting are websites for genealogy sites or forums related to the surname. I know I am putting it in wrong. The same thing with Yahoo.

Help!!! Sad

lilbees

#8: Re: Letters to Possible Relatives Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:26 pm
    ----
Try this: people.yahoo.com/

One of my Italian cousins was listed with this. Also, I followed the trail with google. I found a web page of where a relative worked and wrote to their work place and asked them to pass the letter on. You sort of have to be creative and use trial and error.

#9: Re: Letters to Possible Relatives Author: Poipu04Location: Connecticut PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:27 pm
    ----
Oh, and try www.yahoo.it and www.google.it Maybe you will get people instead of genealogy sites (of course the hits will be in Italian).

-> General Discussion Groups