Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: No Birth Records Found
-> Where do I begin?

#1: No Birth Records Found Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:04 pm
    ----
I now have several family members who, as it turns out, never had their births recorded. Probably delivered at home with or without a midwife.

How in the world did they, when I.D. was needed, apply for the "new" Social Security Registration back when it started. Parents not alive or not in this country to provide any backup. What did they uses to identify themselves to the SS Administration to obtain a Card?

lilbees

#2: Re: No Birth Records Found Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:13 pm
    ----
Until WWII most of the women, in Italy, especially if living in small towns, would give birth to their children at home with the help of a midwife. After the birth, the father or the midwife, accompanied by two witnesses, was supposed to go to the municipality and declare the birth of the baby.

#3: Re: No Birth Records Found Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:17 pm
    ----
Thanks Livio. My problem is many of them were born in the US. Again, no declaration of birth to the authorities. They were supposed to but didn't.

lilbees

#4: Re: No Birth Records Found Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:34 pm
    ----
I'm not sure what time frame you are referring to but identification was not really required in most situations like it is today. When I began working in Human Resources in 1981 (it was called Personnel back then) we never checked new employee's identification. Of course, today 2 forms of identification are required (unless you use a passport). When I got my Social Security card back when I was about 12 years old, all I did was make a phone call and they sent me the new card with a number on it. No proof was required.

#5: Re: No Birth Records Found Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:40 pm
    ----
Cathy, the time frame is 1875 to 1920. I have lots of letters with state seals telling me no birth record. Several took months and months of searching. No luck. I did receive very nice letters explaing that many, many births were never reported during that time period. One of my aunts had that problem but luckily her mom was still living and could go with her to the court to certify information of her birth since the midwife did not report it. The court had a birth certificate issued which included the date of the declaration of fact. In this case, 1943.

lilbees

#6: Re: No Birth Records Found Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:03 pm
    ----
I remember hearing about situations like this and the person had to sign some type of declaration on non existent record..now don't quote me on this but I believe thats how they got around not having a birth act.

#7: Re: No Birth Records Found Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:05 pm
    ----
Nuccia, Memories are good! I hadn't checked what was needed back then but you are probably right.

lilbees

#8: Re: No Birth Records Found Author: stevenspringerLocation: Port Jefferson Station, NY PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:41 pm
    ----
lilbees wrote:
Thanks Livio. My problem is many of them were born in the US. Again, no declaration of birth to the authorities. They were supposed to but didn't.

lilbees

thats ok lilbees, when i got my great grandmothers birth cert. from jersey, it was a Delayed Birth Registration, she was 64 years old it says on it! LOL!

#9: Re: No Birth Records Found Author: lilbeesLocation: Georgia, USA PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:28 pm
    ----
I just received a letter from New Jersey offering to have me register the birth of my grandmother if I would like. They included a form, etc., for me to fill out and send to them for a formal registration of her birth since I had her ss application and a marriage record. I thought that was quite nice of them. I am still thinking on all of this.

Thanks to all for their comments.

lilbees

-> Where do I begin?