Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: Some suggestions please...
-> General Discussion Groups

#1: Some suggestions please... Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:21 pm
    ----
I'm scanning in (ugh) thousands of pictures from my grandparents. I am an only child, and only grandchild on both sides. I began my genealogical research at age 13 and pretty much by the time I was half way through high school everyone in my family (on both sides) would turn to me when it came to family history. Because I was so young everyone was still alive at that point and when they passed away I "inherited" their pictures and family papers.

so moving right along...

in my Bianco pictures, I came across this interesting photo.. which is proving to be a challenge. These two ladies are relatives, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might proceed to figure out who they were.

Front

Back

Thanks, and I'm going to be posting more of these pictures in other threads (sorry I just want to share with my friends here, most of my family could care less)

Crying or Very sad

#2: Re: Some suggestions please... Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:09 pm
    ----
Jim,
That picture is priceless! I love it. They looked very close whoever they were. Looks Like Zio Barbara to me but that can't be right...can it? The address is a huge clue. Perhaps someone can look up the address on the 1930 census on Ancestry?

#3: Re: Some suggestions please... Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:12 pm
    ----
I was thinking Gio for Giovanna and Barbara. What do you think?

#4: Re: Some suggestions please... Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:22 pm
    ----
Your right, that is a G - but the second name looks like Barbira. Could that be a surname? It could be Barbara mis-spelled? Looks like a 1930's-1940's era photo to me.

#5: Re: Some suggestions please... Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:29 pm
    ----
Cathy wrote:
Looks like a 1930's-1940's era photo to me.

Definitely, I agree, it was the 30's or 40's.

I can't afford Ancestry either right now... ugh

#6: Re: Some suggestions please... Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:36 pm
    ----
Hi Jim,

I think zio is correct.............aunt Barbara............so if you remember who gave you this picture it might be a clue to the family line. And I believe the address is 442 51st St.

#7: Re: Some suggestions please... Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:38 pm
    ----
Really? Wow thanks, so it's Aunt Barbara then. Isn't that an really unusual Italian name? I have never seen it in the tens of thousands of records Extracted for my Carini, Sicily website.

I agree on the address, now just to find out who lived there in the 1930's.

Smile

#8: Re: Some suggestions please... Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:44 pm
    ----
I think Barbara was the americanized version of and italian name. Here is a link that someone gave me on the IG site for italian names.
www.behindthename.com/nmc/ita.php

When you get past Barbara, check out Bianca and the american equivalent. I'm still laughing.

#9: Re: Some suggestions please... Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:51 pm
    ----
See..I look at it as Gio---Joe Barbira--maybe the person they sent it to? Or Zio Barbira...

Longshot, but then, aren't they all?

Last edited by nuccia on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

#10: Re: Some suggestions please... Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:52 pm
    ----
Jim,
Could it be Giovanna Candella living in Brooklyn, Kings, NY born abt 1858? Isn't that one of your surnames?

#11: Re: Some suggestions please... Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:00 pm
    ----
BillieDeKid wrote:
I think Barbara was the americanized version of and italian name. Here is a link that someone gave me on the IG site for italian names.
www.behindthename.com/nmc/ita.php

When you get past Barbara, check out Bianca and the american equivalent. I'm still laughing.

Cool....Vivian, right?

Ok, Giovanna Candella lived on 16th Ave in Brooklyn...with her son Andrea and his wife, Virginia and family.

#12: Re: Some suggestions please... Author: BillieDeKidLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:31 pm
    ----
You're all probably right. On Carini these were the surnames

BARBA
BARBARA / Barbarino
BARBARO (Di, De)
BARBERA (La) / Barberi / Barvera / Savarino / Severino / Varberi / Varvara / Varvera / Varveri
BARBOTTA

And this is the only record I found with an italian woman named Barbara.
1895 SEP 29 16 ALFREDO FRANCESCO INGARGIOLA ANTONINO MARGARITA SALAMONE MARRIED GIUSEPPA BARBARA CATANIA

Sorry guys Embarassed

Billie

#13: Re: Some suggestions please... Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:40 pm
    ----
Looks like Barbera to me --- either a misspelling (and I am pretty sure I did recall seeing a couple women named Barbara in Italian records but none in my family tree ---- or a surname. There is a large car dealer in Philadelphia -- Gary Barbera (and sorry to say he was just in the news for doing somethng naughty).

They might be old enough to try the name Barbera on Ellis Island records???

#14: Re: Some suggestions please... Author: JamesBiancoLocation: Westfield, MA. PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:44 pm
    ----
Carini is my biological line, this would be the family who raised me.

The area this woman was born in would be Quindici, Avellino or somewhere in Calabria.

Thanks so much everyone!

Billie where did you get that marriage info?

Thanks again

Jim

#15: Re: Some suggestions please... Author: nucciaLocation: Toronto, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:51 pm
    ----
Yes, Gio Barbera is a good guess...there are several Barbera's in Brooklyn though. We would need to go through them one by one to see if anyone is living at that address..remind to do it tomorrow when I can properly access ancestry.

-> General Discussion Groups