Click Here to Print Page

Page Topic: What is this document?
-> Translations

#1: What is this document? Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:57 pm
    ----
I am in 1853 (as far back as I have gone so far) and came across a grouping of documents I have never seen before. It has something to do with births. This document is for Rosa Napolitano, the daughter of my great great grandparents, Filippo Napolitano and Caterina Nicastro. Can someone translate this so I can understand it? Does anyone know what this is? There was a notation on the film that these are filed in the state archives in Cosenza (Province now but district during this era). Thank you> Here is a link to the document:
montaltouffugo.googlep...litano.jpg

Edited to add names

#2: Re: What is this document? Author: Biff83Location: Florida PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:20 am
    ----
Hi Cathy,

I believe the document is a civil record recording the baptism of Rosa.

Biff

#3: Re: What is this document? Author: liviomorenoLocation: Rome (Italy) PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:50 am
    ----
Provincia di Calabria Citra
Distretto di Cosenza - Comune di Montalto

The Ufficiale di Stato Civile of this comune is honored to notify the parish priest of the Church named La Visitazione della Beata Vergine Maria
that today he has registered, under number 5, the birth of a child, daughter of the married couple, Filippo Napolitano and Caterina Nicastro, born on the 18th of this January.

The child was given the name of Rosa.

[The Parish priest] is therefore asked to go through the ceremony of the Saint Baptism, according to the Royal decree of June 28, 1815 and to return this [document] with the indication of the day that the child was baptized.
Montalto, January 22, 1853. Signed by the Ufficiale....

I, undersigned, certify that the above mentioned child was baptized today January 23, 1853.
Signed (on the right) by the parish
Signed again by the Ufficiale dello stato civile to confirm that he read it (VISTO).

#4: Re: What is this document? Author: Cathy PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:14 pm
    ----
Thanks Livio and Biff! WOO HOO!! Now I have the name of the church!! Previous birth acts stated that the Church was in Vaccarizzo but did not name the church. Since Vaccarizzo had at least 2 churches, I thought I would never know. This is an interesting document. I wonder why they had this. You had to prove you were baptised?! Shocked I wonder what happened if you did not get baptized?

#5: Re: What is this document? Author: charliemisLocation: Philadelphia PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:56 am
    ----
Hi Cathy,

I didn't know if you have an address for the church, but if it still exists, it should be listed here:

www.parrocchie.it/inde...occhie&id=

I didn't realize that you ancestors were close to Vaccarizzo ----- you can see it on the next mountaintop from San Giorgio Albanese --- were are pisani Wink

-> Translations