Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › Facebook/MySpace

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Facebook/MySpace
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Facebook/MySpace Reply with quote

Ok I have a question, or maybe more like a poll. I am technilogically NOT advanced so if I sound stupid, my apologies.

I hear so much about this My Space stuff and Facebook and all that. I keep hearing stories of how "cousins" found each other even though they live in different countries. I think even Mikey connected with a cousin on My Space and if I recall that cousin was quite "older". I always thought this My Space stuff was for the young kids and never messed with it.

Am I missing valuable untapped resources by not creating a My Space or Facebook site? Or is it really a waste of time and potentially disasterous situation?? I appreciate any and all opinions.

Searching surnames -
Graziano, Trella, Del Principe (AQ)
Ignazio, Biani, Della Valle, Scarani (PC)

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook/MySpace Reply with quote

I have a facebook account and I can't understand a bloody thing! I'm sure its useful but for me, it was too confusing to use. I only did to to keep an eye on my kids activities... Embarassed

Calabria Exchange
chanchisfea
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook/MySpace Reply with quote

I remember back a few months ago a few here started their facebook pages and I did the same... Best thing I've done!

Though I'm not huge on "checking in" to it as much as others might, I did get in touch with two REAL cousins of mine whom I had not heard or talk to in about 10 years!

So, in that sense, I vouch for being a great tool to find people that you might know or wonder whatever happened to such and such (school friends, childhood friends, etc.)

I have no input on whether or not it is safe, etc.... or whether or not it's a good idea to have my info "out there", but I figure I'm in so many places that it doesn't take a genious to figure out who I am and where I live, LOL

Does that help??? hide

Oh, and .... *WHAP!* Wink

Liz Cool

Transcripts for towns of Petrona' - San Vincenzo la Costa and Verzino, Italy Smile
JamesBianco
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook/MySpace Reply with quote

I have both Facebook and Myspace, I prefer Myspace. Facebook is hard to navigate and the format is frustrating.

JamesBianco
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook/MySpace Reply with quote

nuccia wrote:
I only did to to keep an eye on my kids activities... Embarassed

Good idea, my kids seem to be allowed unsupervised on both sites (by their mother). My younger son.. well he really gets in to trouble on Myspace (he's 13). Kids these days really have access to far too much...

We were so much more innocent and naieve weren't we? And in my opinion that was a good thing.

Sad

Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook/MySpace Reply with quote

Ok So connecting with cousins is a priority only second to getting my website out there. I don't have the content that some do, so I need exposure somehow. Should I explore other options? Any ideas anyone? Would it be too dangerous to link My Space to my website? Is that too much information for prying minds?

Searching surnames -

Last edited by Gina501 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook/MySpace Reply with quote

There was something about these web sites on our TV just the other night.
It seems someone(who was a computer expert) had joined when he and his friends were at University and now wanted to delete all he had posted on these web sites. but found it almost impossible to do. I think it was the people linked to the TV programme who eventually managed to get all this information deleted for him. After that they engaged someone else to do some work on the web giving only the previous person's name and although all his personal information had all been deleted from those sites this other person engaged by the TV Prog. was still able to find out almost everything about that person including his date of birth, address, work etc. because although his information had been deleted from those web sites it had already filtered through other areas.
It advised to be VERY careful about what information you put on these web sites.
Emmy

Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook/MySpace Reply with quote

hmmm....

Searching surnames -

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook/MySpace Reply with quote

Gina, I have found Facebook a very useful tool. But you do need to be careful! DO NOT put your real birthdate, city, etc on there. People can steal your identity with those things. Your name (I think they require a birthdate - I lied) But once you are on Facebook, I found lots of clubs and communities that were useful. In my case I found Cosenza Province, Calabrian and even a Montalto Uffugo (my grandfathers town) clubs. You can send messages. I learned a few things and got permission from one of these people to use their pictures of the town on my website. Try it but be careful.

MikeSavoca91
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook/MySpace Reply with quote

I have both Facebook and Myspace, and like Myspace more. I have spoken with 5 or 6 cousins now because of them! They are great tools as long as they are used properly. I would get one it I were you Gina, they are both fun, and can be quite helpful with finding people. Go for it!

Edited to add: Jim request me on myspace, I couldn't find you Crying or Very sad ?
  Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: