Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › Preservation (or not) of records!

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Preservation (or not) of records!
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Preservation (or not) of records! Reply with quote

Paper was always the "old reliable" form of preservation (with limits of course)......technology has been another issue......I have been exposed to computer technology in one form or another over the last 40 years [I was a kid;-)]......just thinking about the different types of media over the years is "mind-boggling".....the challenge is to keep ahead of the curve and move the data you are trying to preserve along with the newer technologies......the 1st PC I purchased for my kids was a Tandy 1000 (circa 1980).....can you read a 5" floppy disk anymore.......how about loading a program for the original Windows OS, or how about an IBM PC running OS/2 (IBM's own PC OS). Even 3 1/4" floppies are pretty much obsolete unless you have an older PC or an attachable floppy drive which does not get included anymore in new PCs. How about those old Iomega tape backups or your ZIPDisks from a few years ago.....all left behind.

I have traveled a lot and I have tons of pictures....the color is fading fast.....the floppies from the drug store purchased when the photos were developed may no longer be compatible with your new PC and Vista......and how long will today's color pictures last that you print yourself before they fade......you just have to keep moving the data along to the latest technology you own or it will very quickly be left behind. I have transferred the 8MM movies to DVD.....I am now trying to find a good solution for about 30 carousels of 35 MM slides Rolling Eyes

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
BonVal
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Preservation (or not) of records! Reply with quote

I think the issue with LDS has to do with church records, not the civil records...those are a government control issue. Not sure if those are still being filmed or not... there are lists online of those government records that are damaged or destroyed.
I posted a few things on my blog about organizing and preservation of old records and photographas in personal collections. Everyone should develop contingency plans for all of their research as well as worrying about records in government or church control. There was a report of a German repository collapse today..no one hurt but no word on the condition of the massive collections of artifacts and records.

Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Preservation (or not) of records! Reply with quote

These governments should reconsider, if they are not letting their records get copied. In this day and age, you would think that they would be educated enough to know that once these records crumble ..thats it, they are gone. Also, if anything should happen to their orginals...fire, flood, etc..at least there are copies elsewhere.

I have my own records on cd. I make a new cd each year, plus my son has a copy in his safe. It wouldnt have made much sense for me to do all of this work and if there was a fire..all is lost. I would really love to have my son take my originals, since I dont have every single thing, in my computer. But, I need those in my house, since I still use them.
BonVal
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Preservation (or not) of records! Reply with quote

Maybe some of those who live in Italy would know...weren't some of the commune and provinces starting to copy/film their records? My husband thought I should ask in Itri if they would like copies when I finish extracting all the records I have access to. I know in some cases there is strong sentiment on citizen's part concerning privacy issues ..like the no photographing cemetary laws. But like you I hate to think of these precious records being lost..and it will impact folks trying for citizenship too, won't it?

Italysearcher
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Preservation (or not) of records! Reply with quote

Where I live I can't imagine them even considering filming the records. In one town the computer processor is so old it takes 15 minutes to print out an identity card and they can't afford to upgrade it! ANother town has one computer and printer for 3 clerks issuing certificates.
The storage conditions of most places would horrify you (as it does me). The library in one town is also the archives. I have never seen anyone there choosing books or studying. The chill in the room is at least 10 ° less than outside. There is no heat and the lighting is one energy saving bulb in a ceiling fixture (10 foot ceiling). I can't bring my own lamp as there is nowhere to plug it in and there is no window. I am so grateful I wear gloves to handle these documents, even though it isn't required, at least my hands stay warm for up to 2 hours.

Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Preservation (or not) of records! Reply with quote

Wow, thats an eye opener. Its all the more reason for them to accept the offer, if someone wants to film these things. I believe they give the town a copy of whatever they film. (At least thats what I was told, years ago by a member of the LDS).
Italysearcher
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Preservation (or not) of records! Reply with quote

You are right, they did give a copy to the State Archives back in the 1960's when they did the job. Nothing is easy here. The local Anagrafe operate under different privacy laws than the State Archives. They have major privacy concerns. I range from 'look at what you want and don't bother me (as long as I have the Mayors permission)' to 'you can't even look at the record or have a photocopy'. Most will give me a photocopy (rather than a certificate or extract) rather than let me take a digital photo. They consider it private no matter how old it is. The State Archives work on a 70 year privacy law that's why the LDS were able to do the deal.

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Preservation (or not) of records! Reply with quote

Tragic news from Germany on just this question. This happened on Tuesday (3.3.09.) and this article demonstrates just how widely this will affect genealogical studies in the future...

>Archive building collapse - Cologne<

>Photo Gallery- 10 photos<

The world - and 'the Church' must really open their eyes to the fact that time is running out for man to save his heritage or see it lost forever due to ideaology.... I'm sorry, it just makes me SO mad!

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Preservation (or not) of records! Reply with quote

I saw this on the news. The building wasnt even that old. Nobody will learn a thing from this..even if it is brought up to them.

People like the LDS are perfect, to presearve records like this because copies will be outside the archives. If anything happens to theirs, there is still another copy.

I think that people not interested in history, family or otherwise, dont even care..and many of these people are the keeper of the records..like the Italian priests. I am sure it never enters their minds, that all would be lost in a fire or some other disaster. I guess its not important to them.
  Page 2 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: