35: Community Forums
36: My Account
37: Community Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Dangat in Southern Italy on Sep 22, 2017 at 10:56:33

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Dangat in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 10:47:34

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Central Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:14:08

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 20:13:41

PUGLIESE OR VALEO
Last post by Biff83 in Northern Italy on Aug 05, 2017 at 01:30:23

Ambrogio Bianchi
Last post by debbiemfit in Central Italy on Jul 31, 2017 at 17:49:19

Gentile ,Mammola, Calabria
Last post by nuccia in Southern Italy on Jul 20, 2017 at 07:52:30

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cosenza

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cosenza

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NCJE2910

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cosenza Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm looking for some info regarding my ancestors, specifically my Great-great-grandfather Giuseppe Mirabella's parents.
Giuseppe Mirabella/i was born December 1874 in Cassano allo Ionio, Cosenza, Calabria and died in NY Sept. 1956.
He was the son of Anna Pasquali & Fedilo Mirabella/i
He had at least one brother - Battista (1865-1938)
Giuseppe was married to Caterina Nicoletta and had 5 children: Anna, Filomena, Fidele(Fred), Giovanni, & Salvatore - all born in NY

I'd appreciate any info that could be found, but I'd really like to find out more about their lives in Italy.
Thank you so much,
Nick
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cosenza Reply with quote

Another brother....

SIAS Code IT-ASCS-F680258
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Enlistment year 1868.Volume number 90,
document number 178 page 105 section a
Salvatore Mirabelli, fabbro enlisted on --/--/----
born on 16/04/1868 to CASSANO ALLO IONIO
son/daughter of Fedele Mirabelli and of Anna Pascale

SIAS Code IT-ASCS-F680258
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Enlistment year 1871.Volume number 113,
document number 112 page 84 section a
Giuseppe Sebastiano Stefano Mirabelli, enlisted on --/--/----
born on 12/01/1871
son/daughter of Fedele Mirabelli and of Anna Papasso

Calabria Exchange
NCJE2910

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cosenza Reply with quote

Nuccia,

Sorry I just saw this post. This is amazing. Thank you so much!!! Salvatore must be the brother. Wow.
Where did you find this info? Its great! Is there any other info about Salvatore or the parents?

Thank you so much!
Nick Smile

Researching: Canarelli, Giunta, Trollo, Scarpetti, Palumbo, Faiella, Gargiulo, Supprese, Fania, Mirabella/i, Pasquale, Nicoletti, Selvaggi, Faillace, Malomo, Celio, Vita, Peluso, Mauceri, Muratore, Lo Faro, Bertolino, D'Aquino, Milia, Bruno
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cosenza Reply with quote

I found this on the Cosenza Archives website located at
88.59.143.158/ascs_web...3807.node1
You will need to register a username and password to use but it is completely free to search. Note: Records are not always indexed correctly and new records being added often so you will need to keep checking for updates and changes to the databases.

Calabria Exchange
Poipu04
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cosenza Reply with quote

I wonder if you are any relation to former Red Sox catcher Doug Mirabelli? Smile

JoeM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cose Reply with quote

Nick

My grandfather was Battista Mirabella from Cassano allo Ionio. He died in NYC in 1938. He married Maria Conchetta Milano, my Grandmother, and my aunts and uncles were Fred, Anna, Filomina, Frances, Salvatore and Joseph. My father was Joseph who was a NY attorney. They have all passed and me and my cousin Jack are all who remain. We lived in the Bronx and I now live in Manhattan. We must be cousins.

JoeM
JoeM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cose Reply with quote

Nick

My cousin visited Cassano in the 1950's. His memory is fuzzy but he told me he was greeted royally. He remembers a farmhouse with animals living on the ground level and the family upstairs. He slept on a straw mattress. I'm sure things have changed by now. The family had a small bar/restaurant business.
I have been planning a visit for some time but lack of information always got in the way. Maybe now we can secure a address and maybe communicate with them. My Family first lived in Harlem on 127th Street and moved to the Bronx.
I checked Ellis Island.com and found that they retured to Italy and reentered the USA. My Grandfather Battista took his wife and children with him. My father Guiseppi (Joseph) was 1 at the time. Let's try to find a address. I'll keep you informed. I live on Worth Street and Mulberry near the Five Points. Its where my mothers family settled.

JoeM
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cose Reply with quote

My Mom lived on Roosevelt Street (became part of the Alfred E. Smith project during the late 50s) which was nearby. There was a church on her block, St. Joachim which was the "original" site of the San Rocco Feast/Procession every year. Roosevelt street ended where the Brooklyn Bridge now stands (there was a ferry from there to Brooklyn). I had a difficult time in finding a map that showed it's location; there is some info on a NYC website (Street Necrology) that shows streets that no longer exist today -- I was trying to get coordinates for the 1915 NY State Census. Her tenement building was close to the Bowery, Chinatown, Little Italy and Five Points ----- it was a pretty rough neighborhood --- she lived there until she was about 8 years old.

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
JoeM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cosenza Reply with quote

Charlie,
I'll go take a look and report back.

JoeM
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cose Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

I don't think there is anything to see anymore.....the entire neighborhood was demolished and then incorporated as part of the housing project that was built in the late 1950s.......you can find the street on old city maps (prior to 1950).

[from Wikipedia --- Roosevelt Street, in the New York City borough of Manhattan, was a street which existed from the colonial period to the early 1950s, running from Pearl Street at Park Row southeast to South Street.

It is historically significant for its role in the New York draft riots and being the location of the New York (north) tower of the Brooklyn Bridge.

The draft riots which began on Roosevelt Street were a violent protest against the draft which began in the third year of the Civil War.

The Roosevelt Street Ferry was displaced by the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge and the street itself was eliminated by the construction of the public housing development called the "Alfred E. Smith Houses." It ran parallel to James Street.

The street was named after a Roosevelt who owned property in the area from the time of Dutch settlement of New Amsterdam. It was not named after either president of the United States with that name, Teddy Roosevelt or Franklin Roosevelt.]

St. Joachim's Church disappeared along with the neighborhood. St. Joachim's Church at 26 Roosevelt St. was between Oak St. and Park Row. Although Park Row still exists in a slightly different form, Oak St. does not. Mother Cabrini used to be active with the early Italian immigrants through this church. There is a "San Rocco Society" that still has a procession through the Lower East Side every August.

I found a lot of info online.

Researching: Corato, Provincia di Bari in Puglia e San Giorgio Albanese, Provincia di Cosenza in Calabria.
JoeM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cose Reply with quote

Charlie

My address is 170 Park Row and the Federal Court House near me is 500 Pearl Street. Police Headquarters is on the other side intersected by the Brooklyn Bridge ramps. The Smith Projects are on the other side east of Madison Street.

I will look to see if there are some Roosevelt Street signs still around. I will also look in the Police Plaza Compound. There are five mysterious free standing stone columns in the rear of Police Plaza belonging to some building that was once existing. Part of the land swap was that these columns must always be part of the property. It would be amazing if they were from the church.

JoeM
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cose Reply with quote

I have photo of the tenement my Mom lived in on Roosevelt Street (from~1912 -- 1919) that I purchased from NYC Tax Dept. ---- I will see if I can upload it.

I found some really neat photos online of tenement buildings, etc. from Lower Manhattan and Little Italy (there is also a Little Italy Museum website that has a lot of old pictures) ----- it must have been a difficult life at best. I have been told that my GM (who could not read or write) scrubbed floors to care for my Mom and her older brother after my GF died in 1912.....she remarried in 1913 about 18 months after my Mom's Father died.

It would be interesting to know what, if anything still exists from the old neighborhood.......also, what is the "project" neighborhood like today ---- is it safe for tourists to visit???

charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio - Reply with quote

link to info about Saint Joachim's Church and the Feast and Procession of San Rocco (footage of this procession was used in the Godfather movie):

knickerbockervillage.b...tenza.html

JoeM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cose Reply with quote

Charlie

I took a walk throught the Smith Projects and found no trace of Roosevelt Street. St Joseph's Church is in the corner of Monroe and Katherine Sreet.
The projects are bounded by Katherine, Madison, Pearl and Cherry Streets.
Both Oliver and Monroe Streets run through. It's interesting that there are many driveways that are big enough to have been Roosevelt.

The project is typical but appears clean and well landscaped. It is multiracial.
The Jacob Riis School is on Katherine. Jacob Riis wrote about life in those days. I think the book is called "How the Other Half Lives", might have some clues.

Tomorrow I'll go north of Katherine.

JoeM
charliemis
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirabella/Mirabelli Family from Cassano allo Ionio, Cose Reply with quote

Thanks Joe.....the block of Roosevelt Street where my Mom lived was bounded by Park Row (N) and Madison St. (S). Pearl Street ran parallel and was one block over; New Bowery crossed Roosevelt on an angle intersecting at Madison. Chatham was also close by.

I am not surprised that all/most of the old landmarks are gone.

Page 1 of 2All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: