Request for extracts ignored by L'ufficio di Stato Civile
Last post by charliemis in Southern Italy on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:38:43

Ambrogio Bianchi Birth Certificate - Rome/Ferentino
Last post by debbiemfit in Where do I begin? on Oct 14, 2017 at 15:28:01

Cardano al Campo, Italy
Last post by Seabreezes1 in Northern Italy on Oct 13, 2017 at 21:58:14

Muscatello
Last post by Biff83 in Southern Italy on Oct 11, 2017 at 15:22:57

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by PrimoMattino in Southern Italy on Oct 03, 2017 at 17:32:46

Motta San Giovanni / Valanidi questions: please help!
Last post by Italysearcher in Where do I begin? on Sep 24, 2017 at 18:25:31

Bastianelli Sant Elia Fiumerapido or Altina
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Sep 23, 2017 at 18:29:38

RESEACHING LUCIA NAPOLI DELIANOUVA
Last post by nuccia in Where do I begin? on Sep 22, 2017 at 06:13:48

Surname Serafini from Barga
Last post by Libby in Northern Italy on Sep 04, 2017 at 03:47:22

Sant'Elia Fiumerapido - De Filippis
Last post by Marchpatty in Central Italy on Aug 24, 2017 at 23:45:06

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › How Can I locate my Family in Italy › Southern Italy › Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli) ?

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli) ?

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli Reply with quote

Michelle,

What do you think of this?

1919 Boston manifest for Felicetta Chiappetta, age 14, dob about 1905
Line 1
Last residence and place of birth: Marano Marchesato
Leaves grandmother Carmela Caputo in Marano
Joining mother Rachela Chiappetta in Trinidad at 921 Robinson Ave.

Page 1

imageshack.us/a/img848...a19191.jpg

Page 2

imageshack.us/a/img826...a19192.jpg

Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli) ? Reply with quote

Chiapetta is definitely a Cosenza name as is Ruffalo/Ruffolo. And Rende was not far from Marano. I know we need proof but I am really thinking Rachela came from the Cosenza area. It sounds like your Stelitano may have met a from from te Cosenza area who knew of a widow looking to come over and he forwarded a picture to her parents. The area was very highly populated with people from the Cosenza area and stranger things have happened. My father is from Reggio and my mother from Cosenza and thats how they met - he sent a pic of himself to her through an aunt that he was working for. And they married by proxy BEFORE my mom came over.

Another site you may find interesting:

www.rootsweb.ancestry....index.html

Calabria Exchange
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli) ? Reply with quote

Biff - thats them - Rachela was living on Robinson Ave in the 1920 Census! Excellent find!!!!

Calabria Exchange
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli Reply with quote

Thanks, Nuccia.

I'm still tryng to figure out how Ruffolo fits into the equation. Was that
Rachela's true surname and was her married name in Italy Chiappetta?

Biff

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli) ? Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure that one out too. Rachela lists married on the manifest that she never sailed on.. I did find this marriage so far on the Marano site:

20 Vincenzo Chiappetta Rachela Ricchio 1897

But still no Ruffulo. We'll keep looking.

Calabria Exchange
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli Reply with quote

Nuccia,

Maybe we can back door this one.

Can you check and see if you can find a Carmela Caputo (Racheal's mother) married to a Ruffolo?

Biff

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli) ? Reply with quote

Thats what I'm looking for - am coming up blank so far so I am going to check the Cosenza Archive site..3 pages of Carmela Caputo's. I have to be at my parents in 30 minutes but I will look more when I get back - there HAS to be something on there.

Calabria Exchange
Stelitano
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli Reply with quote

Oh my GOODNESS you two - you are awesome! But some things just get curiouser and curiouser!

Yes, I KNOW that my mother's family lived on Robinson Street. I have even been to one of the houses when we visited when I was 5 years old. My great-uncle John Stelitano, who was half-brother to Mary, lived at 918 Robinson and I definitely remember visiting that house! My mother told me that John inherited that house from his mother (Rachaela) when she died.

Biff - as for this:
Quote::
1919 Boston manifest for Felicetta Chiappetta, age 14, dob about 1905 Line 1
Last residence and place of birth: Marano Marchesato
Leaves grandmother Carmela Caputo in Marano
Joining mother Rachela Chiappetta in Trinidad at 921 Robinson Ave.

Do we think Felicetta would be MARY? The dates are perfect - to US in 1919, at about 14 years old, but Felicetta? Where did that come from? Also, I KNOW we have family members named Caputo. I believe Sylvio Caputo, who is somehow my mother's cousin, wrote a book called "The Death of Spring" and it is about the mines in Trinidad. ( www.amazon.com/Death-S...1425723578 ) My mother has a copy, but I have yet to read it...

Also, why in 1919 would Rachela still be listed as a Chiappetta, when she married Carmelo Stelitano in 1910 or 1911 before my grandfather Dominic's birth in 1912? And like you both asked - where did the Ruffolo come from, as listed on Carmela's (Rachaela's daughter) obituary? Maybe it's a mistake?

I know from searching for other family members that there is frequently a TON of conflicting information...and you have to figure out what is true and what is what someone "misremembered!"

You two are really terrific! I am going to call my mom right now!

Keep up the good work! I love it!

Michelle
Stelitano
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli Reply with quote

I just hung up the phone with my mother. When I mentioned the name Chiappetta, she said, "I've heard that name before." Keep in mind my mom is almost 78 years old and she left Trinidad when she was 9...so she's working on a LONG memory!

I also told her about the "no sail" ship manifest - and that makes sense to her and me because she always believed that Mary came WITH Rachaela but the other daughter stayed in Italy. When I said "Concetta" as "the other daughter," she said, "THAT'S IT!"

She does not recall anything about being blood related to the Caputos, but said that Mary Chiappetta Nacarrato and Frank Naccarato had a daughter named Mary (which can be verified on census) and that Mary married a Caputo - he it's my mom's cousin's husband. Kinda makes sense - those Caputos are probably also from the same region as Rachaela - family marrying family, and as you say Nuccia, Caputo, Chiappetta, and Ruffolo are all common names to that region in Italy.

It makes perfect sense to me - and I had thought the same thing - that Carmelo Stelitano knew someone - probably one of the Colorado Caputos! - who knew of a widow back in Italy who wanted to come to the US. I wonder if it was the 1908 earthquake that killed Rachaela's first husband, the Chiappetta! And perhaps Carmela (Rachaela's mom) married a Ruffolo, had Rachaela, and then at some point married a Caputo, thus the name change. That would also make Ruffolo Rachaela's maiden name.

It's a lot of "maybes..." but it all makes sense to me! The ONLY thing I can not understand is why the 1919 manifest lists "Felicetta." Maybe she took the name Mary when she got to the US to "Americanize" herself.

I really, really, really can not thank you all enough. I'm so grateful!

Michelle
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli Reply with quote

Stelitano wrote:
"Felicetta." Maybe she took the name Mary when she got to the US to "Americanize" herself.

Michelle

That's what I think happened.

Now, we just need to find Rachela's manifest or some other document/proof to clarify her maiden name.

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli Reply with quote

Michelle,

Great site on Families from Marano Marchesato, Cosenza, Calabria, Italia.

www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ilfmm/

Biff

Stelitano
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli Reply with quote

Hi Biff, Since you found the "no sail" manifest for Rachaela under the name "Chiappetta," I would bet you find her on a ship manifest as Chiappetta. I have a strong feeling Ruffolo was her maiden name, and Chiappetta was her first husband, under whose name she came to the US. I can tell you that my grandfather was born in August 1912, son of Rachaela and Carmelo Stelitano, so that would mean Rachaela had to come to the US in 1911. I would guess shortly after the "no sail" in August 1911.

Thanks so much again!

Michelle
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli Reply with quote

Why oh why is Rachela's manifest sooo elusive, especially since we have a short window on her arrival month/year, age, approx yob, last residence?

I've can't even come up with a possible arriving NYC or Boston. Going to try Phiily next.

Biff

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli Reply with quote

From the Marano Families site for 1888 births.

Record #81
Anna Chiappetta
10 Oct 1888
Father: Santo
Mother: Carmina Caputo

Still looking for other births, marriages, etc.

Biff

Stelitano
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stelitano (Stillitano) / Ruffolo / Coseorelli (Casarelli Reply with quote

...is it possible that the "no sail" manifest for Rachaela is WRONG? Maybe both the girls were "no sails," but Rachaela DID come? You are absolutely correct Biff, there is a VERY small window of when Rachaela could have come to the US. HAD to be before November 1911! What do you all think?
  Page 2 of 6All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index Southern Italy Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: