Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › General › General Discussion Groups › A really cool document I got today...

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
A really cool document I got today...
Want to share something new or just have fun? You can do that here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesBianco
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: A really cool document I got today... Reply with quote

I hired a researcher near Naples to go to the Church in the little town of Crispano (NA) where my Gr-Gr-Gr Grandmother Maria Grazia Maisto was born in 1827.

Grazia Maisto (1827-?) around 1890

I had her parents and grandparents names and information from the allegati records included in her 1854 marriage to my ancestor Alessandro Ginosa.

The researcher emailed me 4 documents this morning and another generation back for each of Grazia's grandparents (where I was stuck before). One of the documents was this beautiful Church Marriage act from February 1788. It is the marriage of Grazia Maisto's grandparents Domenico Maisto and Grazia Vitale.

Domenico Maisto to Grazia Vitale, 4 February 1788 Crispano (NA)

Another interesting thing with these records is that on a baptism of a child, it not only lists the parents names, but the GRANDparents names, both of them even with the maiden names of the two grandmothers!! Here
is one for my ancestor Vincenza Maria Michela Pascale in 1802.

Vincenza Maria Michela Pascale Baptism 1802 Crispano (NA)

All of this for 275 Euro! (plus much more he sent)

And now, he has to travel to another town close by because my Maisto's came to Crispano from a town called Casandrino (NA).

Just wanted to share these Church records.

Very Happy

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: A really cool document I got today... Reply with quote

Wow Jim! AWESOME! The images are georgeous! You are very lucky. This calls for....
party party
A banana dance!! Very Happy

MauroMags
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: A really cool document I got today... Reply with quote

Hi James,

Very cool! Is there a word(s) for that super excitement feeling you get when a new document comes in the mail/email?

howabout "archival euphoria" or "geneo-joy"
Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: A really cool document I got today... Reply with quote

Oh James, that Church Marriage act is beautiful...what a difference from the quality of handwriting that followed in many places in Italy later. I suppose much was due to the fact that these acts were written by the priests and not town officials.

But whoever wrote them - the legacy they left us is awesome indeed.

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
Emmy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: A really cool document I got today... Reply with quote

Congratulations James I know exactly how you will be feeling, isnt it just wonderful how it's possible to unearth all those beautiful documents after such a long time has gone by.
I always feel when new information is found its as though all that is printed on the paper takes on a new dimension and the names are not just names any more but become 'real' human beings.
Hugs
Emmy

JamesBianco
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: A really cool document I got today... Reply with quote

I truly was on cloud nine this morning when I received this email. I was so exited when I contacted this man, because he is not the typical researcher, he has no problem going to The Church and not the Stato Civile, which, needless to say opens up an additional 200 years worth of records (and sometimes more).

This church marriage is priceless indeed! The groom was born in a neighboring town called Casandrino. He was born about 1762, and the researcher is going to go THERE next and get his baptism and HIS parents marriage (provided they were married there of course). Not only that he will go as far back as the records allow for that one time flat fee of 275 Euros (roughly $430 American) I am going to send him another check on Monday, you can pay with a US regular check.

Exiting!

(equally exiting was the email after his from my cousin Angelina, who has just completed extracting Carini baptisms for the last book I have up which gives us a COMPLETE run without gaps and only a handful of missing records from 1826-1910! That is 30,500 Baptisms she's extracted for Carini!!!) I know of no other town in Italy with such a complete range online, and for anyone to make use of at the click of a mouse).

here is a link to what she has done so far, which are up and live on my website! (Marriages as well 1568-1910)

Carini (PA) Church Record Extractions

Carole
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A really cool document I got today... Reply with quote

An utterly incredible piece of work....

Complimenti to all who have been involved in it's compilation !

Researching: EDMED, SAVILL, TYSON, NEWCOMBE, STAPLETON, GUNTER, STAPLES
If you think education is expensive -try ignorance!

>Expats in Italy<
Come and join 'Dork and Friends'! >New Blog<
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A really cool document I got today... Reply with quote

Excellent day for you, Jim! Such wonderful news to start the weekend with! Smile

Calabria Exchange
lotus45tiye
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: A really cool document I got today... Reply with quote

How Fantastic! You must be so thrilled! I can only dream about finds such records at this point. I get excited finding records in the State Archives, ones from Italy would be overwhelming! With hearty congratulation! party Carol

debbth
Mem
Mem

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: A really cool document I got today... Reply with quote

Whow, Jim!
How exciting!! How did you find the researcher in Italy? I have ancestors from the province of Treviso and would love to find someone who could do research at the local church in Sant 'Elena, Silea for me. The civil records may never come through as the clerks seem reluctant to search for them so having someone that could go to the church would be awesome.

Debbie

Eleven
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A really cool document I got today... Reply with quote

How exciting! Congrats. I am also curious as to how you found the researcher.
Italysearcher
Researcher
Researcher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: A really cool document I got today... Reply with quote

Congratulations, sounds like Joe(?) really came through for you.
Just a caution for others out there. Not all priests bothered to list grandparents on baptisms, sometimes it depended on how many other parishioners had the same name and then the Grandfather's name was used to differentiate between them. On some marriage records I have seen 3 generations listed, on others none, it just says he interrogated them! Death records rarely mention parents names and only occasionally a wife or husband's name, and the older the record, the less information it seems.
But still, the magic of searching records from 1500's is indescribable...

Page 1 of 1All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index General Discussion Groups Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: