Toggle Content Main Menu
Toggle Content Last Posts
Last 10 Forum Messages

bocca
Last post by tennino in General Discussion Groups on Jan 16, 2021 at 16:56:41

Towns in Frosinone that were part of former Vatican States a
Last post by Italysearcher in Central Italy on Feb 19, 2019 at 09:15:58

Dual Citizenship
Last post by Curci-Ghio in General Discussion Groups on Nov 18, 2018 at 15:30:54

Please Help Translate Letter
Last post by nuccia in Translations on Oct 20, 2018 at 06:18:43

Family in Cittanova
Last post by russojoseph1 in Translations on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:28:20

DNA Testing
Last post by nuccia in General Discussion Groups on Sep 29, 2018 at 10:39:30

Trento -Atto di Nascita - Frazione di Poia, Comune di Comano
Last post by exevans in Northern Italy on Mar 28, 2018 at 00:45:37

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:58:50

Translating written postcard
Last post by mekanic in Translations on Jan 18, 2018 at 13:53:38

State of the Family Record & Other State Records
Last post by debbiemfit in Northern Italy on Jan 02, 2018 at 23:14:28

Toggle Content Help Support this Site
Please support GentediMareGenealogy
Help us by supporting the future development of this site, or simply to say thank you.
Toggle Content EStore
Community Forums › Memories and Guides › PC Info and Guides › Windows Vista Home Premium

Forum FAQ   Search   Log in to check your private messages   Login  
Windows Vista Home Premium
For help with tech support and programs
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index PC Info and Guides Printer Friendly Page

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Windows Vista Home Premium Reply with quote

Looks like I'll be next to purchase a new system. My current 8 year old system has been acting up the last couple of weeks so we decided we're going to spend some bucks on ourselves. Dual core processor, 2GB dual channel DDR SDRAM, 250GB hard drive, media card reader with Vista Home Premium as the OS. I hate to part with my old, reliable HP printer and HP scanner but I've been told that there are no available drivers to support the hardware. Likely we'll purchase a fax, scanner and printer when we buy the system so everything will be bundled.

My only concern is the Vista Home Premium OS. I've heard that there were issues with Vista. Has anyone purchased a system recently with Vista preinstalled--not as an upgrade to an initial XP system--and have you had any issues? Or is Vista the best thing since sliced raisin bread?

Thanks,
Biff

"You live as long as you are remembered." -- Russian proverb
goganga
Dev
Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Reply with quote

I'm attached to XP.

Remember that nearly 1GB of the ram memory is absorbed from Vista.

I suggest you (if you can, of course) to buy a new lap top without OS and then install XP.

Wink

>> Amici Over the Ocean

>>Simona - Redazione CanaleGenoa
nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Reply with quote

I like XP too. I haven't heard too many good things about Vista. Too new and too many glitches still.

Calabria Exchange
rfornal
Mod
Mod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Reply with quote

I would recommend staying with XP if you can ... for a while.

Also, the printer, fax, scanners can be problematic ... better to keep things seperate in this instance.

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Reply with quote

That is why I bought my laptop weeks before Vista came out. The first version of a new OS always has problems. They never seem to work all the bugs out before they release it. My friend bought a a new laptop with Vista and couldn't get it to work with our networks. She had to load XP on it and everything finally worked.
Biff I am so glad you are getting a new computer. You will love it. You will have lots of room to store pictures of your grandbabies! And perhaps we will see you on Skype!

Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Reply with quote

I just got a new computer with Vista. I have had no problems, but I don't know yet all the new things it does. Haven't had a chance to find out.

Searching surnames -
Graziano, Trella, Del Principe (AQ)
Ignazio, Biani, Della Valle, Scarani (PC)

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Reply with quote

Okay,
The score thus far here is one neutral (Gina), and four negative (Cathy, Bob, Nuccia, and Simy). Checking with the folks at work in the IT department, it was one positive for Vista and four negative although they all felt Vista would have a bright future after the kinks were worked out. My old reliable HP printer and scanner also have drivers for XP but not for Vista.

Looks like XP is the hands down winner.

Thanks to all for your input.

Biff

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Reply with quote

Awesome! Now make sure it has a port for your digital camera's memory card! You will need that for all those baby pictures and big girl pictures of Angelina. If it doesn't let me know I have a memory card reader around here somewhere that I no longer need. I'll be happy to send it to you.

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Reply with quote

Cathy wrote:
Awesome! Now make sure it has a port for your digital camera's memory card! You will need that for all those baby pictures and big girl pictures of Angelina. If it doesn't let me know I have a memory card reader around here somewhere that I no longer need. I'll be happy to send it to you.

If that's a 13-1 card reader, the new system will have one so we can download the pix from out Kodak digital camera. We've had to go to our daughter's to download pix since my current system couldn't handle the software. I'm also going to make sure it will support a microphone/headset and SKYPE although I'm not sure how my wife will take to the idea of me chatting with all you lovely ladies!!!

Biff

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Reply with quote

Great - you will love that. Don't worry about Skype - as long as you have Vista or XP it will be compatible. I got a headset at Walgreen's for $9.99.
Tell your wife not to worry - except for Carole, Emmy and I, everyone is married. And we are good girls and would never encroach on her territory!

Gina501
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Reply with quote

and hey....we would love to talk to your wife too!

Searching surnames -
Graziano, Trella, Del Principe (AQ)
Ignazio, Biani, Della Valle, Scarani (PC)

Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Reply with quote

Hello all,

Thought I'd fill you in as to where my new system is at. It arrived a couple of days before Isabelle was born and since we were so busy with the baby we decided to have a Dell rep do the setup and data recovery from our old computer which was done this past Friday. So far we've experienced nothing but problems. First, we were unable to register McAfee as were two separate Dell tech reps after a number of deinstall and reinstalls (3 hours plus on the phone). When they couldn't figure out what was wrong, they sent me to aMcAfee rep who did a deinstall of McAfee and then had me download the software via the net (another hour).

On Sunday when I went to print an email, the Dell printer/scanner/copier would not work. More phone calls to Dell with multiple reps who did deinstalls and reinstalls of the printer software, drivers, etc. with no success. Their conclusion was that my operating system has corrupted registry files (whatever that is) and that I must deinstall and reinstall the operating system (another 3 and a half hours on the phone). That's when I lost it, escalated my call to a supervisor and requested that a rep get his/her buns to my home and fix whatever was wrong. When the supervisor stated that someone coming to my home wasn't an option, I went ballistic and had my wife get on the phone. She escalated the call to someone further up the food chain who set up a phone call for this afternoon between someone from senior management and my wife.

I'm at the point that I'm wondering what other software/hardware won't work. We've only used the system to check email and the net so I have no idea if my CD/DVD burner, photo software etc. are working. The main reason we went with Dell and had a rep do the set up was to avoid the problems we're having. Until the situation is corrected, I don't dare install Skype or the FTM 16 software I purchased. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks for reading me and pardon my venting.

Biff

Cathy
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Reply with quote

Holy cow Biff!! Shocked That (pardon me) sucks! I was thinking of getting my daughter a Dell but I think I'll stick with someone else. So sorry you are having trouble. Any chance of a return?
Someone remind me never to mess with Biff or his wife! hide

nuccia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Reply with quote

Well Biff..

Welcome to my world! I have heard it happen that the files can be corrupt right from the get go!

Was the operating system pre installed? My friend bought a DELL and had very similar problems...it did work itself out though so walk away and breathe.

Could call..don't install the FTM. Skype is no big deal..it can be installed and uninstalled anytime. You will never lose your screen name. That was the least of my problems..it only took two minutes to reinstall it each time. FTM on the other hand has files and you will lose any info you enter on it unless you back it up. It also takes a bit longer.

No use in getting upset..give me their number and I'll call them..I know just kiss what to say to this computer people! Wink

Calabria Exchange
Biff83
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista Home Premium Reply with quote

The operating system, Dell scanner/printer, McAfee, Windows were all pre-installed by Dell. Likewise, the tech who did the setup was a local person paid by Dell. When it comes to computers, I'm not the brightest bulb in the room. So rather than screw things up, we decided to go with a Dell system and a Dell authorized setup. Whether the system was messed up out of the factory, caused by the setup person, or caused by a Dell tech rep who had access to my computer while trying to solve the McAfee and printer problems I have no idea. My preference is to return the tower for a replacement and a new install at no cost, but I'll settle for someone coming out, servicing my system and checking out everything before leaving. Someone from Dell was supposed to call my wife at 2 this afternoon so I'll post an update later.

Biff

Page 1 of 6All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index PC Info and Guides Printer Friendly Page

Jump to: